Call for Abstracts:
The Society of Hospital Medicine (SHM), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and the Academic Pediatric Association (APA) encourage the sharing of scientific research as part of the Pediatric Hospital Medicine 2017 (PHM 2017) conference. Whether you have submitted in the past, or have never submitted, we encourage everyone to submit their work to PHM 2017!
The Call for Abstracts for oral presentation and poster presentation has now closed.
Abstracts that were completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered for presentation in one of two formats; poster presentation or oral presentation. Abstracts submissions should fall under one of the following three categories: Clinical, Education, or Quality Improvement research. A standardized, blinded review process will be utilized in determining the scores of each abstract submission. High scoring submissions will be eligible for oral presentation.
Please note the following before submitting an abstract:
- Only electronic submissions will be accepted. Supporting documentation will not be accepted by email.
- There will be no exceptions for missed deadlines. The deadline is Monday, February 27, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. EST.
- If selected for either oral or poster presentation, you will be recognized as a presenter at the conference. No financial support will be offered to accepted presenters.
- There is a 75-character limit for the title of your abstract submission.
- There is a 2,500-character limit for the text of your abstract submission (not including title).
- Submissions need to include: Purpose/Objective, Design/Methods, Results and Conclusions.
- Once submitted an abstract may not be edited.
- Abstracts can be submitted to or presented at other meetings, but will not be accepted if the abstract is previously published in a journal at the time of submission.
- Before copying and pasting information from Word into the forms, remove all special formatting.
- Use “ –“ instead of bullet points from Word if you have bulleted information for your submission.
- Please note that supporting documents must be uploaded as a pdf file and cannot exceed 100MB. Supporting documentation should not exceed more than (2) total tables or figures. To convert your files into pdf format you can use Adobe Reader. If you do not have Adobe Reader on your computer, you can download it here.
Main authors of submissions will be notified of acceptance or declination by end of April 2017.
Oral Abstract Presentations have been grouped into themes included Education, Clinical, Quality Improvement, Transitions and Value. Click the plus sign next to each session to learn what will be presented at PHM 2017.
3:00 – 3:15 p.m. | Words Matter: Improving Inpatient Documentation of High-Risk Diagnoses | Presented by Deepa Kulkarni
3:15 – 3:30 p.m. | Delivering Feedback to Residents Using a Documentation Assessment Tool | Presented by Danita Hahn
3:30 – 3:45 p.m. | Assessing How Pediatric Hospitalists (PH) Think: MCQ vs SCT | Presented by Mary Ottolini
3:45 – 4:00 p.m. | An Oral Presentation Tool for Pediatric Clerkship Student Peer Assessment | Presented by Jennifer Nead
11:30 – 11:45 a.m. | High Flow Nasal Cannula Use in Bronchiolitis: A Six Year Practice Analyses | Presented by Vineeta Mittal
11:45 a.m. – Noon | Social Determinants of Health, Access to Care, and HRQOL | Presented by Jakobi Johnson
Noon – 12:15 p.m. | Non-Healthcare Related Expenses Incurred Due to Pediatric Hospitalization | Presented by Erik Hoefgen
12:15 – 12:30 p.m. | Prevalence, Risk Factors, and Outcomes of Pediatric Bacteremic Pneumonia | Cristin Fritz
1:45 – 2:00 p.m. | Impact of a Care Process Model for Pediatric Retropharyngeal Abscess | Presented by Laura (Nell) Hodo
2:00 – 2:15 p.m. | Reducing the Use of Empiric Acyclovir in Low Risk Neonates with Fever | Presented by Lauren Bradford
2:15 – 2:30 p.m. | Reducing NICU Admission for Newborns at Risk for Hypoglycemia | Presented by Ashley Sutton
2:30 – 2:45 p.m. | Impact of Q-UTI Collaborative on Diagnostic Evaluation in Children with UTI | Presented by Chrissy Hrach
8:30 – 8:45 a.m. | A Novel Hospital-Based Medical Home for Children with Medical Complexity | Presented by Lisa Parnell
8:45 – 9:00 a.m. | Core 4 Elements are Associated with Readmissions Reduction in Pediatrics | Presented by Julie Cernanec
9:00 – 9:15 a.m. | Discharge Process Improvement for Inpatient Pediatrics | Presented by Melissa Schafer
9:15 – 9:30 a.m. | Hospital to Home Outcomes: A Randomized Trial of Post-Discharge Home Visits | Presented by Katherine Auger
3:00 – 3:15 p.m. | The Cost-Effectiveness of a GI PCR Panel in Detecting Treatable Infections | Presented by Anne Andrews
3:15 – 3:30 p.m. | The Development of a High Value Care Rounding Tool Using the Delphi Method | Presented by Corrie McDaniel
3:30 – 4:00 p.m. | Association between Resident Inpatient Workload and Patient Outcomes | Presented by Robert Dudas
4:00 – 4:15 p.m. | Chief Residents’ Experiences as Inpatient Attending Physicians | Presented by Sumeet Banker
This year’s Research Abstract Platform Plenary features the highest scoring abstracts across the themes of Education, Clinical and Quality Improvement. The following abstracts will be presented on Saturday, July 22 11:15 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
11:15 – 11:30 a.m. | Patient and Family Centered I-PASS: Improved Communication and Safety | Presented by Alisa Khan
11:30 – 11:45 a.m. | Reducing Electrolyte Test Overuse Using Quality Improvement Methods | Presented by Mike Tchou
11:45 a.m. – noon | Rooming-in for Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome: A Systematic Review | Presented by Kathryn Dee MacMillian
Noon – 12:15 p.m. | High Value, Cost-Conscious Medicine Curriculum for Pediatric Sub-Interns | Presented by Kimberly O’Hara
If accepted additional deadlines will be provided in the acceptance notification. All authors of accepted abstracts MUST confirm their acceptance.
- Abstract Submission Site Opens: January 9, 2017
- Abstract Submission Deadline: March 3, 2017 at 5:00 p.m. ET
- Abstract Notifications Sent Out: End of April 2017
Questions? Please contact the Abstract Co-Chairs and SHM Staff.
Kavita Parikh, MD, MSHS, PHM 2017 Abstract Co-Chair: email@example.com
Patrick Brady, MD, MSc, PHM 2017 Abstract Co-Chair: Patrick.firstname.lastname@example.org
Samantha Regosch, PHM 2017 Staff Liaison: email@example.com.